Reminder on the dangers of Carbon Monoxide:

Carbon Monoxide is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely.  Heating and cooking devices, vehicles, and generators are often causes of CO in homes. Wood burning fireplaces with a flue that is improper size, blocked, disconnected, or leaking can also be a cause of CO.

CO is known as a silent killer, because it is impossible to know it’s in the environment without CO alarms.  Low levels of CO can cause mild effects that are often mistaken as the flu. These symptoms include: headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea, and fatigue.  CO is fatal at high concentrations. 

Prevention: Most importantly purchase a CO alarm for you home. If you already have one, ensure it has working batteries. Making sure combustion equipment is maintained and functioning properly is another way to ensure your family’s safety. If warming up a vehicle on a cold day make sure it is not running in a garage. Finally, open flues when using a fireplace.